Everyone is ready for sex at a different stage and only you can know if it's right for you. This checklist will help you decide whether you're ready. If you have any doubts, it's better to wait. You only get one first time, after all.
- Do you feel happy at the idea of having sex?
- Do you feel physically, emotionally and mentally ready for sex?
- Do you know what sex entails? Penetrative sex is just one way to give each other sexual pleasure, but oral sex and manual play can both be fun too. Just remember, oral carries risks of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI's) too so you'll still need to use a condom or dental dam (square of latex) to cover the area.
- Do you trust and respect your partner, and think that they feel the same way about you?
- Are you confident that you can insist on safe sex? You can get pregnant/get someone pregnant and/or contract STIs every time you have sex, including the first time.
- Do you feel happy with the location and timing? And does your partner feels the same way?
- Are you aware of the possible outcomes of sex? And is the person you're considering having sex with? If so, do you feel ready to deal with any issues that may arise?
- Is there anything that scares you about having sex and, if so, have you discussed this with your partner?
- Do you want sex because you feel ready or because you're worried you may lose your partner if you don't?
- Does it feel right? Your gut instinct is worth listening to - if something doesn't feel quite as it should be, you may want to wait a little longer before making a decision you might regret.
Do you feel ready to deal with any issues that may arise?